MA in Teaching
The MAT program at Clarkson is a 38 credit hour program. This coursework will be focused around teaching and can be tailored to your subject of interest. Students can complete the program in as little as one year, or spread their studies out. Students who begin in the summer term (third week of June), should complete the degree within 12 months. Students starting in the spring semester (second week of January), should complete the degree the degree in 18 months. Those who start the program in the fall semester (last week of August), should complete the degree in 22 months.
New York may need to hire 180,000 new teachers by 2027, predicts SUNY Chancellor Emeritus Nancy Zimpher. This looming teacher shortage is expected to impact urban and rural school districts, and foreign languages and STEM subjects the most.
Grants and Scholarships
Clarkson and the government offer grants and scholarships to help you pay for school. There is even a specific grant for prospective teachers. To learn more visit our scholarships page below.
General Admission Requirements
- The equivalent of an undergraduate major in the discipline the candidate would like to teach
- Undergraduate liberal arts core, including courses in humanities/arts, writing/communication, social sciences, STEM and one semester of foreign language
- ED500 Field Experience: Four days of structured observations in secondary schools. Can be arranged by CRC Department of Education Coordinator. Please call 518-631-9870 (must be completed prior to summer intensive; can be completed in fall or spring in the first year if students select the two year program).
- Educational psychology (an undergraduate course, or independent study with Clarkson’s CRC Department of Education exam. Must be completed prior to summer intensive; can be completed in fall or spring in the first year if students select the two year program).
A complete application file consists of the following items:
- application form
- resume and statement of purpose
- letters of recommendation — three letters required
- official transcripts
- GRE or Miller Analogies Test (offered at CRC)*
- Score of 80 for TOEFL/6.5 for IELTS (if applicable)
*GRE and/or Millers Academy Test may be waived for some applicants.
Supplemental information may be submitted if desired; this could include any other information that may help us evaluate your application.
For students applying to the 18 month program that begins in the spring, complete applications must be received by November 1st. For students applying to the one-year MAT program that begins in the summer, complete applications must be received by April 1st. For students applying for the two-year MAT program that begins in the Fall term, applications are due by June 1st.
Early and on-time applicants will receive preferential review for scholarship opportunities. Late Applicants will be considered based on availability.
The MAT program is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education, the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation and the New York State Education Department.