126 Rowley Laboratories
Box 5710, 8 Clarkson Avenue
Potsdam, NY 13699
• Earthquake Engineering and Structural Dynamics
• Experimental Methods (Hybrid Simulation, Shake Table Testing, Effective Force Testing)
• Structural Control and Health Monitoring
• Civil Engineering Applications of Information Technology
• Ph.D., 2007, Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
• M.S., 2001, Civil Engineering, Kyoto University
• B.S., 1999, Civil Engineering, Kyoto University
• National Science Foundation Faculty Early Career Development (CAREER) Award (2010)
• Associate Professor, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Clarkson University, June 2014-present
• Assistant Professor, Department of Civil Engineering, Johns Hopkins University, 2007-2014
Selected Recent Publications:
• N. Nakata and M. Stehman (2014). Compensation Techniques for Experimental Errors in Real-Time Hybrid Simulation Using Shaking Table, Smart Structures and Systems (Accepted).
• N. Nakata and E. Krug (2014). Validation of Loop Shaping Force Feedback Controller for Nonlinear Effective Force Testing, Journal of Vibration and Control, doi: 10.1177/1077546313517585
• N. Nakata and E. Krug (2014). Computational Framework for Effective Force Testing and A Compensation Technique for Nonlinear Actuator Dynamics, Structural Control and Health Monitoring, Vol. 21, No. 5, 756-773.
• N. Nakata, E. Krug and A. King (2014). Experimental Implementation and Verification of Multi-Degrees-of-Freedom Effective Force Testing, Earthquake Engineering and Structural Dynamics, Vol. 43 No. 3, 413-428.
• N. Nakata and E. Krug (2013). Multidegrees-of-Freedom Effective Force Testing: A Feasibility Study and Robust Stability Assessment. Earthquake Engineering and Structural Dynamics, Vol. 42, No. 13, 1985-2002.
• M. Stehman and N. Nakata (2013). Direct Acceleration Control of Shake Tables with Force Stabilization. Journal of Earthquake Engineering, Vol. 17, No. 5, 736-749.
• N. Nakata (2013). Effective Force Testing Using Robust Loop Shaping Controller, Earthquake Engineering and Structural Dynamics, Vol. 42, No. 2, 261-275.
• N. Nakata and M. Stehman (2012). Substructure Shake Table Test Method Using Controlled Masses: Formulation and Numerical Simulation, Earthquake Engineering and Structural Dynamics, Vol. 41, No. 14, 1977-1988.
• N. Nakata (2012). A Multi-Purpose Earthquake Simulator and A Flexible Development Platform for Actuator Controller Design. Journal of Vibration and Control, Vol. 18, No. 10, 1552-1560.
• N. Nakata (2011). Error Analysis of Digitally-Controlled Servo Hydraulic Actuators for Structural Testing, Journal of Earthquake Engineering, Vol. 15, No. 6, 901-923.
• N. Nakata (2010). Acceleration Trajectory Tracking Control for Earthquake Simulators. Engineering Structures, Vol. 32, No. 8, 2229-2236.