Incoming Exchange Students
Clarkson University is a nationally ranked research university and the institution of choice for more than 3,500 enterprising, high-ability undergraduate and graduate students. Clarkson has strong undergraduate and graduate programs in engineering, business and the arts & sciences. We invite students from our exchange colleges and universities to study abroad for a semester or full year at our Potsdam, New York, campus.
Academics & Courses
- Undergraduate/Graduate Course Catalog
- Course Descriptions - by Course/Term
- Academic Calendar 2015-16
Application & Deadlines
Our partner universities’ International Offices nominate students to apply come to Clarkson University. Please contact your home university’s International Office for nomination and processes needed to apply.
- Fall semester (late August – mid-December) Application deadline May 1
- Spring semester (early January – early May) Application deadline October 1
Your application for exchange should include the following materials:
- The Incoming Exchange Student Application
- Copy of your most recent official transcript (with all classes taken with grades)
- Copy of your passport (photo page)
- Certification of Finances Form for Visa processing
- F1 Visa vs J1 Visa Information
Your International Office will mail all application materials to:
Clarkson University Career Center
Box 5620, 8 Clarkson Avenue
Potsdam, New York 13699
Once You Are Accepted
We process exchange applications as we receive them and begin to mail out acceptance letters. Once you are accepted, you will receive a username and password for your PeopleSoft Account. Within PeopleSoft you will be able to view classes in which you are enrolled, view financial transactions, have the ability to purchase books and much more. There is a "To Do" List which you are required to complete prior to arrival. The "To Do" List includes such items as Health Documents, Housing Contract, submitting a photo for your student identification card, etc.
All exchange students are required to live on campus. Typically, the exchange students live in our self-catered apartment style housing which include: Riverside Apartments, Townhouse Apartments, and Woodstock Village. For further information on these accommodations: http://www.clarkson.edu/residencelife/halls/halls.html
We strongly suggest that you arrive at a US airport as there is no public transportation from Canada to the US. Once your arrival is planned please complete the Arrival Form below and return it to firstname.lastname@example.org. We will make arrangements for students to greet you at the bus stop on campus. They will have your arrival packet and take you to your residence.
Fall 2015 Incoming Exchange Students
Plan to arrive on campus on August 18 or 19
International Exchange Student Orientation will be held on August 20 - this is mandatory
Undergraduate classes begin on August 24
- Arrival Information Form
Transportation information from the airports can be found at this link: http://www.trailways.com/
- The bus from Syracuse airport to Clarkson University leaves twice per day - 7 am and 5 pm.
- We have had students take the bus from NYC Port Authority all the way to Clarkson. It is a very long trip!
Exchange students are encouraged to join any of our student clubs and organizations, including our internationally oriented clubs:
- International Students Club (Facebook Link: https://www.facebook.com/clarksonISO?fref=photo)
- Chinese Scholars and Students Association
- Friends of India
- Africana Students United
- Multicultural Alliance of Northern New York (MANNY)
Questions? Contact Us
If you have any questions about studying abroad on exchange at Clarkson University, don’t hesitate to contact the Career Center, at email@example.com.
“My exchange at Clarkson changed me; I have become more independent and made more friends! My time abroad has already helped me get a new job! Definitely better than expected! I was always very excited to come to Clarkson, and was amazed by the snow and the friendliness of the students and staff.” - Ellen from UTS, Sydney, Australia
"I can't believe what I experienced in the US and I'm so happy that I went to Clarkson and not to any other place in the world!" - Moa, Luleå University, Luleå, Sweden
Quick LinksOnline Cultural Training Resource