Professor and Associate Director, Honors Program
Civil & Environmental Engineering
132 Rowley Lab
PO Box 5755
Potsdam, NY 13699-5755
Ph.D., Civil and Environmental Engineering, Clarkson University, 1982.
Ph.D. Applied Mathematics, University of Iowa, 1976.
M.A. Engineering Mechanics, University of Iowa, 1974.
B.S. Mathematics, National Taiwan University, 1972.
- Granular flows: constitutive relations, particle size and shape effects, flow rate effects, transitions from quasi-static to inertia-dominant flows.
- Two-phase flows: solid phase and fluid phase stresses, interfacial stresses, governing equations and conservation laws.
- Walter L. Huber Civil Engineering Research Prize, ASCE, 1991.
- William Evans Fellow, Otago University, New Zealand, 1994.
- Merrill Faculty Award, Clarkson University, 1995.
"Advances in Micromechanics of Granular Materials," Shen, H.H. & M. Babic 1999.
"Rapid Flow of Granular Materials," Chapter 5 of Mechanics of Granular Materials, (Ed. M. Oda and K. Iwashita), Balkema Publishers, Elsevier, 1992
Recent Journal Articles:
Shen, H.H., Jenkins, J.T., and Ji, S. "Geometrically Constrained Flow Behavior with Uniform Disks," Proc. McMat2005, The 2005 Joint ASME/ASCE/SES Conference on Mechanics and Materials, Baton Rouge, Louisiana (Paper No. 624) June 1-3 (2005).
Orlando, A. and Shen, H.H. "Calculation of Volume, Mass and Moments of Inertia of Coupled Spheres," CEE Dept. Rep., 05-14 ( 2005).
Orlando, A., Ji, S., and Shen, H.H., "Analytical and Numerical Methods to Calculate the Volume, Mass and Moments of Inertia of Clumped Spheres," CEE Dept. Rep., 05-15 (2005).
Shen HH, Ackley SF, Yuan Y Limiting diameter of pancake ice Journal of Geophysical Research-Oceans 109 (C12): (2004)
Shen HH, Sankaran B Internal length and time scales in a simple shear granular flow Physical Review E 70 (5): Part 1(2004)
Dai MR, Shen HH, Hopkins MA, et al. Wave rafting and the equilibrium pancake ice cover thickness Journal of Geophysical Research-Oceans 109 (C7), (2004)