Below is a list of services we offer. To view more information click a topic of your interest. This is only an overview of our services and we encourage to contact us with any questions/concerns you may have.
Wind Turbine Testing Services
We can perform a wide portfolio of industry standard structural testing services of Wind Turbine Blade and other wind turbine components. We can accommodate blades lengths up to 14 meters. Among our services:
- IEC 61400-2
- IEC 61400-23 certification testing
- AWEA 9.1
- MCS 006
- RUK 2014 (formerly BWEA 2008)
- Rotor blade design validation
- Manufacturing quality verification
- Structural validation of repairs and design changes
- Rotor blade and hub integration and their coupling testing
- Structural integrity static/dynamic uniaxial/combined loads
- Modal Testing and Analysis
- Static Testing
- Resonance Fatigue Testing
- Ultimate Load Testing
Additional wind structures services:
- Testing of nacelles and towers
- Testing advanced blade sensing and actuators
- Testing of material/structural coupons
- NDT methods to test rotor blade construction conformity
- Testing advanced pitch and stall control algorithms
Applicable Testing Standards
International Electrotechnical Commission
- 61400-2 "Design requirements for small wind turbines"
- 61400-23 "Full-scale structural testing of rotor blades"
American Wind Energy Association
- AWEA 9.1 "AWEA Small Wind Turbine Performance and Safety Standard"
- "Guideline for the Certification of Wind Turbines"
- RenewableUK Small Wind Turbine Standard”
CECET BTF Materials Development Facility
- Assist companies with materials selection for wind turbine rotor blades
- Experimental studies on material behavior in CAMP facilities
- Determination of the aging properties of materials in CAMP facilities
- Life assessment and strength of materials under extreme environmental conditions
CECET BTF Material Testing Facility
- Static loads and cyclic loads testing, ASTM standard testing
- Metal, fiber composite and other materials testing
- Modeling and simulation capabilities of material
- Evaluation of material response and degradation due to environmental conditions
CECET BTF Composite Fabrication Facility
- Composite coupon and other specimen preparation
- Assist companies in components and structures preparation
- Rotor blades components preparation
- Assist with fabrication process selection
CECET BTF Component Tests Facility
- Turbine sub-components concepts and procedure for testing development
- Static and dynamic sub-components and coupon testing, ASTM standard testing
- Sub-components testing under extreme environmental conditions
- Assistance with reliability and life assessment predictions of blade and sub-component
Structures and Materials Testing Laboratory
- Reaction frame can accommodate test specimens in an 14 m long, 8 meter wide, and 5 m tall test volume.
- Reaction frame floor and walls are outfitted with anchorages that are positioned in a 1.2 m uniform grid.
- 5 ton overhead crane.
- Testing equipment includes a range of hydraulic actuators, 60GPM Instron hydraulic power supply, servo controllers, a modular structural steel testing frame, two axial load testing frames, an axial-torsion combined loading frame, state-of-the art high-speed control and data acquisition systems.
- Folding safety partitions (blast walls) protect technicians from injury during destructive testing and to protect IP from observation during closed-door testing.
State of the art electro-mechanical and hydraulic actuators, measurement and analysis equipment
MTS Test System
Advanced hydraulic actuators and structural test controller
- 16 Channel FlexTest Controller – controls up to 8 actuators simultaneously
- 8 Valve Drivers
- 8 Digital Universal Conditioners
- 16 Channels A/D
- 8 Hydraulic Actuators w/ Load Cell – ability to apply static and dynamic bending moments in 2 planes along entire blade
- 3 Dynamic Actuators
- 5 Static Actuators
- 3 Service manifolds
- 128 Channel FlexDAC System
LMS Test System
48 Channels Accel/Bridge
8 Channel Voltage/ICP Input
Test Lab Advanced Software, a complete engineering solution to efficiently visualize, analyze, report, and share, a gateway to advanced post-processing
- Impact Testing
- Multi Input Multi Output (MIMO) FRF Testing
Clarkson University Wind Tunnel
Our Facility has two different Subsonic Tunnels available for use
Clarkson University Subsonic Tunnel # 1 - 80 m/s subsonic tunnel outfitted for aerodynamic testing with a 6 component force balance, several position control systems, particle image velocimetry (PIV), laser doppler velocimetry (LDV) and flow visualization. Suitable for aerodynamic testing, scale and small wind turbine testing.
Clarkson University Subsonic Tunnel # 2 - 12 m/s subsonic tunnel with high inlet air quality, established through 228 sq. ft. of HEPA filter. Suitable for aerosols testing and environmental / low speed wind testing.
- Turbine Testing
- Open Jet Rotor Testing
- Particle Image Velocimetry (PIV): Used for non-intrusive laser optical measurement s. Measurement data include velocity, concentration, temperature, combustion species and particle size.
- Phase Doppler Particle Analyzer/Laser Doppler Velocimetry (PDPA/LDV): Pre-configured three-component (3D) PDPA/LDV system is used to get all three components of velocity simultaneously.
- High Speed Camera: 5,000-100,000 frames per second used to capture images of rapidly moving objects or interfaces.
Workforce and Training Development Courses
The BTF supports industry participation & continuing education through Distance Learning and Workforce Development Program.