The Blade Test Facility (BTF) at Clarkson University was established as part of the Center for Evaluation of Clean Energy Technologies (CECET), an Intertek Company, with funding from the New York State Energy Research and Development Authority (NYSERDA) to support and grow New York based wind market activities through performance testing, research and certification of wind turbine systems.
- CECET is made up of a coalition that includes university and private team members with expertise in the appropriate areas. Intertek, AWST, Clarkson University, Binghamton University, Alfred State, RIT, Syracuse COE are the founding members.
- Clarkson University, in partnership with Intertek, is developing a state-of-the-art Wind Turbine Blade Test Facility (BTF) to test up to 14m long blades. Strong participation and growth potentials with focus on testing and research related to system and component safety, performance, reliability, durability, longevity and certification.
- CECET aims to identify and prioritize performance-based research needs based on market input and results from laboratory and field evaluations and build a strong connection between research, laboratory and field testing.
- The BTF leverages ongoing collaborative efforts with national labs such as Department of Energy (DOE) National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL) and private industry partners such as TPI Composites.
- The BTF supports industry participation & continuing education through Distance Learning and Workforce Development Program.
- Current staff includes 3 core faculty members, a dedicated facility manager, two graduate students, a team of undergraduate students, and three external consultants.